Tuesday, February 7, 2012

24 Weeks & Counting


Baby and I have made it to 24 weeks! It's a little more comforting to know that if I do go into pre-term labor that the baby is now viable!

I had my first Ultrasound after being discharged from the hospital yesterday (Mon Feb 6th) and today I met with the Obstetrician who I will be seeing while I am in Calgary. Her name is Dr. Mahalingham and she seems like a really nice lady! I will admit that when I was told that I was going to be seen by a lady Doctor I was a little nervous, as all my previous encounters with female Doctors haven't been the greatest.

After an hour and half wait in the waiting room (nothing like spending your whole afternoon in the waiting room) we finally go to see the Dr.

She said everything looked great from the ultrasound. Placenta was good, baby was good, in fact he even measured a week further along than what I actually am! (although the technician did say that the further along you are the more inaccurate the measurements are...didn't really make sense to me...but I'm not the technician am I)

Dr. Mahalingham said that she wants me in Calgary for at least another month, quite possibly until I am 32 weeks...I'm currently 24!

She said because of the complications I was having earlier, and because my cervix was already shorter(end) I was at risk of rupturing my membranes. She would rather be safe and have me in Calgary, as the Foothills Hospital is better equipped with everything they need to assist a pre-term baby, than have me go back to Lethbridge.

If anything like pre-term labour, bleeding, any sort of discharge starts again, I immediately have to go to the Foothills hospital and they will be giving the baby steroids to help it grow as much as it can before giving birth.

I'm not on complete bed rest, but I still cannot lift heavy items, or exercise, or anything else that would be to strenuous on my body. Basically I just need to take it easy, and slowly return (somewhat) to my normal daily routines, while listening to my body and resting if need be.

I'll do whatever it takes to keep this little boy inside as long as possible. I know that through the Lord all things are made possible. I will  continue having the faith that whatever does happen is his plan, and he knows what is best for me and my family.

I don't know what the outcome of my situation will be, but I do have a calming feeling that everything will be okay...what 'okay' is exactly, I don't know. For now all I can do is pray and have faith.